Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Time for tile

Nothing like moving some boxes into your new space, fantasizing about what form the rooms will take and then taking a nice shower to rinse the grime off after a long drive from Seattle to Spokane.  So it went with Elizabeth's arrival.  As she ducked in to enjoy a little lather I went into the basement to get...wet?

Why suddenly was I getting sprayed?  I don't recall a shower in our basement.  Hmmmm....

Looking up it quickly became obvious I had another thing to add to the fix list.  Only this one needed to be done sooner rather than later.  It seemed that whomever set the tub and did the tile and grout work wasn't exactly on their game.  Upon closer inspection I found gaps both in the tile as well as around the tub edges which simply allowed water to wick directly into the basement.  Luckily for us I had gone into the basement and immediately found the smoking gun and it was a relatively easy fix with some grout and silicone caulk.

In the end the bathroom will probably be a tear out and do over.  It has enough water damage in the sub-floor that I don't want to have the tub someday just drop through the floor.  For now however it all appears to be functioning well and we don't have to drive to the YMCA to take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment